Thursday, June 12, 2008

Lumela Bo me le Bo ntate

I can't believe Ive only been in Maseru for one week. My head is crammed with information about so many things... and there's much more to go. The training staff is very wonderful and very patient. We started our language training. 3 or 4 per group. The teachers laugh alot and their joy is infectious. I've probably had more language in the last week then in a month back when I took Spanish in school. And beginning this Sunday, we will finally have the 24/7 experiance. Sunday we are moving into our villages. There will be 7 or 8 trainees to a village, and 2 trainers. Each one of us will be with our own host familes, have our own rooms, areas to bathe (bucket baths) etc... Every day we will get together for more training/ language. At 4 pm everyday we have chores, in which we get to learn how to survive on our own in Lesotho. Our families will teach us how to cook, clean, make steamed bread etc... (good thing someone is finally teaching me this stuff!!) And then in the evening we will spend "family time" and get to practice our language, learn more stuff and have fun!! Im really excited. Pretty nervous, but more excited than nervous. During the next 7 weeks, we will also have field trips to learn about permaculture (I get to grow my own food if I want.. woo hoo!!) go to a PCV's site for a few days, and see what it's like... and then make it back on our own to Mesure. We will also go for a few days with our country counterparts to our perspective sites to check them out and check out the housing, and if, I mean when I pass my language exam, I will be sworn in on August 6 as a Peace Corps volunteer.

Among other things, we've been learning about HIV/AIDs, and here's some statistics which have been on my mind: The population in Lesotho has dropped from 2.1 million to 1.6-1.8 million over the last 20 years. Every day, 50 people die of AIDS, and 62 are newly infected/diagnosed. The average life expectancy is down from 68 yrs old to 36 yrs. And for me, here's the most disturbing... there are 180,000 AIDS orphans. That's conservatively 10 percent of the population. The Basotho are wonderful as far as extended families taking care of a lot of these kids. There are homeless AIDS orpans, and from what I was told, wonderful orphanes, but not enough of them. Something to keep in mind.

I should be able to get to the internet probably once a week through training, so hopefully i'll post after being in the village for a week... maybe with some pictures. I hope that life is good for all of you.

Kea leboha!!!!

7 comments:

Denise Marshall said...

Hi Merrill!!! It's so good to be hearing from you so frequently still! I am so glad your language training is going well. I can't imagine learning a language without being at least somewhat familiar with its base language. Although, with the immersion learning - I suppose there's less of a choice. :)

We have been praying for you, and will also be praying for all the affected AIDS population you spoke of. We feel so blessed to be part of your journey. Thank you for "taking us along" through your blog.

Denise Drake said...

Whoa, those mortality rate numbers are staggering. So glad that you are able to go there and help these precious people. Yes, please send pictures as soon as you are able, or have them available on a web site-- even if you don't have time to put captions! Especially let us know when you get to hold that first baby that you've been dreaming about.

May God keep your eyes only on the path right ahead of you so that you do not get overwhelmed by the beauty and joy of the big picture. Just nice sized chunks of beauty and joy-- we don't want you to faint!

Much Love and Prayers,
Denise Drake

Denise Drake said...

hi merrill! whats up? this is Jessica! I MISS YOU!:( what are you doing? are you haveing fun! (i am not having as much fun without you!!!) I love you!!!!!! hope to see you soon! love,
Jessica
John!:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Merrill!! I'm so proud of you! You're living your dream. Keep doing the good work, immerse yourself and sponge up all that learning. So you never did say... are you gonna go with the bike or get a horse/mule whatever when you get your own place? hehee
love ya and miss ya, stay out of trouble okay?

Anonymous said...

Hi Merrill,

I miss you terribly already, but I'm so excited for the amazing journey that awaits you. May God bless you with the ability to learn the language quickly and easily.

Tara

Denise Drake said...

The suspence is killing me. How are you doing? Hope you can get on the Internet and give us an update SOON! It's late Saturday night here but early Sunday morning for you. Praying for your health and ability to adjust well. We love you Merrill!

Chuck said...

Hey Merrill - Been thinking and praying praying for you. Thanks for the information - it helps to grasp (albeit it only a bit) the life and challenges you are facing. Your calling is now becoming reality.